“Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have.” 2 Corinthians 8:12 NLT
“For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.” 2 Corinthians 9:10 NLT
Splagchnizomai !! Euphoria !! The omni present season of giving! The photos on this page are from the 2015 Christmas Holiday season (8 months into our courtship) when we donated hats, scarves, gloves, toiletries, and non-perishable food items to those in need at the Metro Atlanta Taskforce for the Homeless. We were so humbled and amazed by the thankfulness of those who received that we decided we would continue to promote giving, especially during the holidays. We truly wanted GOD to use our courtship for His glory by giving, and moving forward, we want GOD to use our marriage by continuing to give as well.
We are beyond excited and humbled to unite in Holy Matrimony during the holiday season! We want our union to be purposeful and to represent giving.
We are humbled and recognize that we are truly Christ’s Servants. Our passion is giving and we love to celebrate GOD’s blessings by giving. The additional photos are from the future bride’s December 2015 graduation for the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Graduate Occupational Therapy Program. GOD decided to use her graduation as a way to help those in need at the Pathways of Birmingham Homeless Shelter for Women and Children.
Our wedding date, December 3rd, 2016, will kick off the 1st ever Holiday Gurley Giving Campaign which will occur annually. We plan to celebrate every wedding anniversary that GOD allows us to experience solely by giving with the intention of uplifting, restoring, and serving the community.
In lieu of traditional wedding gifts, we are asking guests to bring the following items for donations:
1. School supplies to support Dekalb County Schools- pens, paper, pencils, Kleenex, crayons, construction paper, book bags, markers, notebooks, calculators.
2. Baby products to support new moms and families in underserved Atlanta communities: bottles, pacifiers, diapers, onesies, diaper bags, socks, hats, spoons, cups, formula, car seats, strollers.
3. Clothing to support homeless shelters during the winter months: hats, scarves, gloves, coats, boots.
4. Monetary contributions for: a FAMU Scholarship and student support program; Monetary contributions for: the CS Smiley Scholarship Fund for students at Horizons School in Birmingham, AL:
- God’s Gurley Giving 1887 Scholarship
- Amount: $1,500 annually
- Details: Awarded to one eligible Rattler (sophomore, junior, or senior) annually to support academic matriculation and/or degree completion. #GGG1887ScholarshipAward
- God’s Gurley Giving 1887 Student Support Program
- Details: groceries, gas, and/or text book sponsorship for FAMU students; students enrolled in our data base will be drawn at random for monthly support
- CS Smiley Scholarship Fund for Horizons School of Birmingham, Alabama Horizons School. Background: Horizons School “offers individuals with learning and other disabilities an inclusive, holistic life preparatory program.” The future bride served as a residential assistant at Horizons School while completing her 2nd academic year of occupational therapy school at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The future bride was able grow as a leader and aspiring therapist in her role as a residential assistant. As a small demonstration of thanks, the future bride has established the CS Smiley Scholarship Fund to support Horizons School students’ residential needs (groceries, bills, supplies, personal spending, etc).
- Amount: $100 to be awarded every trimester during each academic year
5. Canned food products and/or non-perishable food items to support the Atlanta Community Foodbank and local homeless shelters
6. New (unwrapped) toys to support Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta Elementary Schools, daycare centers, and low-income families
7. Monetary contributions to: support Dekalb County’s Miller Grove High School Band Program which consists of talented high school musicians who have been selected to perform at Carnegie Hall in 2017, and in the Bahamas in 2018. Monetary donations will support the band’s necessities- new instruments, travel expenses, etc. The program is currently fundraising to meet the costs and would greatly benefit from the support of our wedding guests. To learn more, please also contact the Directors of band of the Program: Jared Brown, Dasmyn Grigsby, and band boosters email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com.
If you are aware of a community need and/or recognize a void that our wedding can be used to fill, please don’t hesitate to let us know! We want GOD to use us and our wedding to restore the community! Thank you for Giving with the Gurley’s! Please bring your donations to the wedding reception. We are so excited to have you give with us!
“You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.””
2 Corinthians 9:7 NLT